Mathematics and Science Outreach Coordinator
Jerry has teaching experience in secondary and college mathematics. He is the coordinator for MAST WebConnect, and provides expertise on quality resources for teachers and students in mathematics and science. Jerry is also a pioneer and expert in flipped learning. He gives frequent presentations on flipped learning and is the creator and facilitator for the Flipped Class Network - a 13000+ member online professional learning network for teachers using screencasting and the flipped teaching model.
Jerry also teaches mathematics and is the judging/volunteer coordinator for the Longs Peak Science and Engineering Fair.
- Phone: (970) 351-1512
- Office: 2279B Ross Hall, University of Northern Colorado, Campus Box 123, 80639
|Ph.D||In Progress||Colorado State University||Mathematics Education
|M.S.||2005||Colorado State University||Mathematics
|M.S.T.||1998||University of Illinois-Chicago||Mathematics Education
|B.S.||1992||Michigan State University||Mathematics
- Overmyer, J. (2012). Flipped Classrooms 101. Principal, September/October 2012.
- Bennett, B.E., Bergmann, J.,Cockrum, T.,Fisch, K., Musallam, R.,Overmyer, J., Sams, A., Spencer, D., (2011). The Flipped Class Manifest. The Daily Riff.
- Bergmann, J., Overmyer, J., Willie, B. (2011). The Flipped Class: what it is and what it is not. The Daily Riff.
- Overmyer, G.R. and Kennedy, P.A. A Meta-Analysis of Recent Literature on the Effects of Cooperative Learning on Achievement in Undergraduate Mathematics. (Pending--Submitted to Review of Educational Research)
- Overmyer, G.R. A Review of Recent Literature on Cooperative Learning and Achievement in Undergraduate Mathematics (M.S. Thesis Paper)
- Overmyer, G.R. The Digital Divide: Issues of Leadership and Equity (Professional Paper)
Grants and Awards
- Project Coordinator and main instructor for the Northern Colorado Mathematic Collaboration to Support Teacher Quality 2013-2014 ESEA Title II, Part A Grant
- Principal Investigator and Director of Colorado Department of Higher Education funded Tools and Technology for Rural Colorado Mathematics: Improving Teacher Quality Project
- Recipent of the Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics, Mathematics Leadership Award for 2013
- Board of Directors Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics-Technology Integration Specialist
- Creator and facilitator for the Flipped Class Network - an online professional learning network site for teachers using vodcasting and the flipped teaching model.
- Co-creator and facilitator for the Colorado Mathematics Teachers Network - an online social network for Colorado mathematics teachers and educators.
- Volunteer for mathnerds.com. MathNerds provides free, discovery-based, mathematical guidance via an international, volunteer network of mathematicians.
- Technology specialist and member of planning committee for “Equity in Mathematics and Science Education: Critical Issues in Leadership Development” conference, Portland, OR, 2007
- Curriculum Development. Involved with a complete redesign of the online pre-calculus program at Colorado State University. 2005-2006
- Assisted work on “A Systematic Review of Effective Interventions in Secondary Mathematics with At-Risk Students”
- Emerging Scholars Training, Austin, TX, Summer 2006
- AP Calculus Reader, Summer 2004
- Upward Bound Mathematics Instructor, Summer 2004
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) Conference, Digital-Age Teaching & Learning : Innovative Learning Technologies, PBS Learning Media, San Antonio on June 25th, 2013
- FlipCon13, "Research on Flipping College Algebra: Lessons Learned and Practical Advice for Flipping Multiple Sections", Stillwater, MN on June 18th, 2013
- Bryan University/Bryan College – All Faculty In-Service, "Flipping Online Learning: Is that even flipping possible?", Webinar, June 14th, 2013
- Morgridge Family Foundation Share Fair, “Using Teacher Created Online Video to Increase Student Achievement” with April Gudenrath, May 4th, 2013
- University of the Philippines, Diliman College of Education, 2nd ECUC Webinar Series, “Flipped Learning: Using screencasting to revolutionize learning”, March 30th, 2013
- High Schools That Work, Ohio College Tech Prep, Presenter, "Flipping the Classroom: Using screencasting to revolutionize learning.", Akron, Ohio on December 5th, 2012.
- 5th Annual Flipped Conference, Presenter “The Flipped Classroom - Using Video Podcasting to Revolutionize the Classroom: Past, Present and Future”, Chicago on June 19, 20, 2012.
- Presented "The Flipped Classroom" for Project Advance teachers in New York City and Syracuse University on May 14th, 15th, 2012.
- Keynote Speaker for the SMART Consortium's professional development workshop "Flipping The Classroom: Turning The Classroom Upside Down" in Cleveland, Ohio on December 14th, 2011.
- Presented "The Flipped Class Model: Creating a 21st Century Mathematics Classroom" at the Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics (CCTM) 2011 Conference on October 28th, 2011.
- Presented "The Flipped Classroom" for the Colorado Science Educators Network meeting at the Poudre Learning Center on Sept, 27th, 2011.
- Presented "History of the Flipped Classroom" at the Flipped Conference in Woodland Park, CO, June 17th, 2011
- Facilitator for District In-Service on Mathematics Curriculum Maps and New Standards Training, Johnstown, CO, January 2011
- “Pre-Vodcasting and the Inquiry-Based Mathematics Classroom” Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics Conference, Denver, CO, October 2009
- “Pre-Vodcasting and the Moore Method” 12th Annual Legacy of R.L. Moore Conference: Inquiry-Based Learning in Different Contexts, Austin, TX, July 2009
- “MAST WebConnect: A Web Portal to Connect Educators to Filtered Internet Resources” Colorado Science Education Network, Poudre Learning Center, April 2009
- “Mathnerds Mentoring Networks: Providing Inquiry-Based Mathematics Tutoring Over the Internet”, Mathematics Colloquium, University of Northern Colorado, January 2009
- “Navigating Through Number and Operation in Secondary Mathematics” Center for Learning and Teaching in the West, Colorado State University, June 2007
- “A Meta-Analysis of Recent Literature on the Effects of Cooperative Learning on Achievement in Undergraduate Mathematics” CLTW Research Forum, Colorado, April 2007
- “Using Technology to Promote Guided Inquiry in Secondary Mathematics” Center for Learning and Teaching in the West, Colorado State University, June 2006
- Poudre Learning Center - Caring For Our Watershed Semi-Finalist Review Board January 2012
- Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics - Awards Review Commitee 2011
- Colorado Department of Education - Educator Preparation Program Approval and Reauthorization 2011
- McNair Scholars Review Board 2010
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- International Society for Technology in Education
- Mathematical Association of America
- Colorado Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- Technology for K-12 Mathematics
- Tools and Technology for Secondary Mathematics Teachers
- Web Design for Frontiers of Science Institute students
- Math Methods for Secondary Education Teachers
- Math for Elementary Education Teachers
- College Algebra
- Calculus for Physical Scientists
- Calculus for Physical Scientists III
- Supervised College Teaching
- Analytic Trigonometry
- Numerical Trigonometry
- Logarithmic and Exponential Functions
- Survey of Algebra
- Career Mathematics
- Algebra II
- Algebra I
- Calculus for Business Management